Close this search box.

Travel Immunisations

From the 1st of April NHS Forth Valley’s Immunisation team will be taking over Travel Health Service for NHS Forth Valley patients. The practice will no longer be offering travel advice/immunisations appointments.

You will be required to complete a risk assessment eform available on the immunisation page on NHS Forth Valley services page. Link available here NHS Forth Valley – Travel Health Service.

You should self-refer with at least 6 weeks notice so that immunisation(s) will be effective at time of travel.  If you are unable to use the eform, you should contact the immunisation administration team on 0800 130 3120If you require only free NHS vaccine(s), you will get your vaccine(s) from the Immunisation team.

If you require NHS and private vaccine(s) you will be directed to community pharmacy contractors that already offer private travel health services. These pharmacies will offer free NHS vaccines and charge you for the private immunisation.

Last Minute Traveller

If you have arranged to travel, in less than eight weeks, then you will require to arrange your Travel vaccinations privately. We recommend Gecko Travel Clinic.

Anne Maclean (B.Sc MRPharmS) runs a private travel clinic within the medical centre that includes travel health risk assessments, advice on travel health, vaccinations, antimalarials and travel health accessories for trips, work and expeditions overseas.

Please call 07769 172357 or 01786 845542, or email [email protected] to arrange an appointment or to explore the full range of services and prices covered. (Evening appointments are available).

8 weeks to Go Leaflet

Healthy Travel Leaflet

You may find the following leaflet helpful when making your travel arrangements.

Advice on Malaria will be given.

Please download and print our useful guide below about Mosquito advice.

Hepatitis immunisation

Immunisation against infectious Hepatitis (Hepatitis A) is available free of charge on the NHS in connection with travel abroad. However Hepatitis B is not routinely available free of charge and therefore you may be charged for this vaccination when requested in connection with travel abroad.

Excess quantities of regular repeat prescriptions

Under NHS legislation, the NHS ceases to have responsibility for people when they leave the United Kingdom. However, to ensure good patient care the following guidance is offered. People travelling within Europe should be advised to carry a European Health Insurance Card, known as an EHIC.

Medication required for a pre-existing condition should be provided in sufficient quantity to cover the journey and to allow the patient to obtain medical attention abroad. If the patient is returning within the timescale of their usual prescription, then this should be issued (the maximum duration of a prescription is recommended by the Care Trust to be two months, although it is recognised that prescription quantities are sometimes greater than this). Patients are entitled to carry prescribed medicines, even if originally classed as controlled drugs, for example, morphine sulphate tablets.

For longer visits abroad, the patient should be advised to register with a local doctor for continuing medication (this may need to be paid for by the patient).

General practitioners are not responsible for prescriptions of items required for conditions which may arise while travelling, for example travel sickness or diarrhoea. Patients should be advised to purchase these items from community pharmacies prior to travel.

Fear of Flying

Please note, we do not prescribe benzodiazepines to patients who are anxious about flying. Read more.

Useful Links